Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Happily ever after

I love fairy tales. My favorite has always been beauty and the beast. I don't really know why. I guess one of the reasons could be that I think Belle makes one of the most beautiful Disney's princess & the beast, when he's a prince, is one of the most handsome prince ever! Especially back in those days, I always have a thing for guy with long hair.

Secondly maybe, among all other Disney princesses, I mostly can relate with Belle. Or maybe I am less related to other Disney princesses.

I mean I don't see myself talking to animals so much and I'm not that crazy about pets either. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, I'm just not the sweet girly girl type who talks to animal all the time (of course I understand they don't talk back). So, Cinderella & Snow White is out of the picture. Another reason I don't like Snow White is because she's too innocent (or stupid?). As for Ariel, I don't really like deep sea water and whatever inside it. Mulan & Pocahontas both are fighters for their clans/ tribes/ countries, and I don't really see myself as those either.

But Belle. Belle likes to read. Like me. Belle is weird and feels that she doesn't belong. Like me. Belle couldn't care less what other people think of her. A little bit like me. Belle is brave. Not so much like me, but given the situation, I might volunteer myself for the scary beast to save my father. Belle sees past the physical appearance. I would like to think that I am like that.

Then again, I might have just described pretty much 50% of the female population. But yes, I do love Beauty and the Beast. I love the soundtracks, I love the story, I love the characters. I have been watching those since I was 9 until today. I own the special edition DVD. I own the christmas edition DVD. All are original DVDs. For those who know me, it is very very very rare that I buy original DVD.


Ever since then, I have never find any other fairy tales that I like like this. In fact, Disney doesn't really make this kind of movies anymore. All the cartoons nowadays are mostly funny, high tech, too deep or too realistic to be something that can make me be smitten. They are good but they are not fairy tales.

Then, they make something that almost like a fairy tale, Enchanted. Enchanted has good songs. But, it still is not enough a fairy tale. I mean, you can't mock a singing prince. It will make the fairy tale lose its essence. After that, they came up with princess & the frog. I don't know why but I can never finish that movie. It doesn't have the oompph.

A few months ago, on my birthday, I got a coupon for a free movie ticket. I chose to watch Rapunzel. Don't know much about the movie. One of my friends recommended it to me before but I didn't really pay attention to it.

Boy, did I glad I chose that movie. It's funny alright. Also, the story is original, so it's very refreshing. The most important part of all, it is a damned fairy tale! The songs, the soundtracks, the princess and the magic. I laughed, I cried, I laughed while I cried & I was glued to the screen with the rest of the audiences.

I went out lighthearted. It is that good. Disney should stick to making fairy tale. Let Pixar & Dreamworks do the other stuffs.


But would I say it is better than Beauty and the Beast? That is a tough comparison. It's like comparing the luscious red apple to the fresh green apple. Both are apples and both are good but they are still different.

Personally though I like Belle. Rapunzel is really beautiful but she looks young and her character is too child like. Belle is more elegant in her nature and she understands life a little bit more. But to be able to compare this two movies side by side is an achievement enough for Disney.

We've heard and read of Rapunzel's story before. But it is nothing like the way Disney tells it. Go watch, it's totally worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Aku pun suka bangaaaaaat Beauty & the Beast! Aku siap hafal lagu2 dlm movie tuh kayyy. I'm a freak like that!

    ReplyDelete