Monday, April 11, 2011

Flipped

Quite recently I have watched this movie called Flipped. It's a cute love story of two eight graders, where the year was set in 1950s. It was based on a novel, though according to the review that the setting in the novel is more recent/ modern. Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. It's a good movie.

I wouldn't give you the spoiler but the general plot is that Juli Baker was in love with her next-door neighbor, Bryce Loski, ever since he first moved into their neighborhood when she was 5. Bryce however was annoyed with her not so subtle obsession and have been avoiding her his whole life.

Her love towards him grow as they enter their teenage life but then several incidents have happened that make them put each other in a different light. She doesnt think that he is as amazing as she always thought of him and he starting to see her as someone who's more than just his stalker neighbor. What happened at the end? Well, like I said earlier, I wouldn't give u the spoiler. U have to watch it.

But beware though, you might want to raised chickens or climb big trees after you're done watching it.

I love to watch my father paint.
Really, I love to hear him talk while he paint it.
I learnt a lot about my dad that way.
He told me all sorts of things like
how he got his first job delivering hay and
how he wished he'd finished college.
Then one day he surprised me.

Father: What's going on with you and uh, Bryce Loski?
Me: What do you mean? Nothing.
Father: Oh, okay. My mistake.
Me: Why would you even think that?
Father: No reason. Just that you..talk about him all the time.
Me: I do?
Father: Um-hmm.
Me: I don't know. I guess it's something about his eyes, or maybe his smile.
Father: What about him?
Me: What?
Father: You have to look at the whole landscape.
Me: What does that mean?
Father: The painting is more than the sum of its parts. The cow by itself is just a cow. The meadow by itself is just grass, flowers. And the sun peeking through the tree is just a beam of light. When you put them all together, then it can be..magic.

I didn't really understand what he was saying, until one afternoon while I was up on a sycamore tree. I was rescuing a kite. It was a long way up, higher than I've ever been. And the higher I got, the more amazed I was by the view. I began to notice how wonderful the breeze smell, like sunshine and wild grass. I couldn't stop breathing it in. Filling my lungs with the sweetest smell I've ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment